ACCOUNTANT / BOOKKEEPER
(freelance position. 1 year)
Deadline for applications: Midnight SUNDAY 25TH AUGUST 2019
Our Yard | Clitterhouse Farm Project, Cricklewood, London, NW2
The directors of Our Yard are looking for an experienced accountant/bookkeeper. We are at an important moment for the project and are soon to be expanding our small cafe into a larger community space and refurbishing a portion of the barn buildings to turn into rentable workspaces.
Join our team at this exciting time and support us to expand and provide even further services to local people.
We are recruiting an experienced accountant/bookkeeper to join the Our Yard Team. As our ambition for the project has grown, we will need administrative support to ensure our paperwork and financial documents are compliant with accounting standards (e.g. HMRC and Companies House ) and best practice. We would also look to you for advice on our accounting and finance function.
We will expect the applicant to implement an accounting software package, to digitise and organise our existing records and to ensure we have efficient systems and processes set up moving forward.
You will be working on a freelance basis, and can agree a flexible working pattern which suits you and the Clitterhouse Farm Project.
The successful candidate will be positive, self-motivated and team focused. You will be a self-starter with attention to detail and a passion for supporting community projects.
- Scanning receipts and filing
- Implement a bookkeeping system
- Produce reports on income and expenses against existing funding streams, troubleshooting and confirming discrepancies or errors with Our Yard Directors
- Develop an internal audit programme to ensure that accounts (and financial policies) are in line with legislation and regulations
- Management of online accounting software
- Compiling and submitting annual accounts and tax-return to Companies House and HMRC
- Leading on and supporting Directors with applications for new funding or revenue streams
- Assist in budgetary planning
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
Flexible working hours. Approximately 3-4 days per month but there may be times in the year where more time is required than others (i.e. when completing our tax return).
Fixed fee of £4,000 (paid in quarterly installments)
- Recognised accountancy or bookkeeping qualification or similar
- Experience using Excel essential.
- Experience using online accounting systems such as Xero or Quickbooks preferred.
- Proven experience compiling accounts for a small or medium sized business and submitting tax returns to HMRC and Companies House
- Able to work independently and manage your own time effectively
- Able to advise on relevant business structures and related accounting methods to optimise efficient and transparent recording and use of funds.
Essential skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Understanding of accounting systems and software packages.
- Understanding of principles of Profit and Loss Account, Balance Sheet, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
- Excellent numeracy skills, and the ability to write clear, grammatically correct English
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Ability to analyse and solve problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, customers and stakeholders to achieve agreed outcomes.
INTERVIEWS: We will be holding interviews on a weekend in early-mid September. Please inform us if you are unavailable on any certain days or dates.
START DATE: Negotiable, but we would like the chosen candidate to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter explaining why you are suitable for this role and a CV to email@example.com by Midnight, 25th August 2019.
Candidates must be available to attend an interview on a weekend. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to organise an interview date at a time as convenient. We will endeavour to acknowledge receipt of your application by email; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This role is subject to two satisfactory references, evidence of qualifications, and providing evidence of right to work in the UK.
Our Yard is a community-led organisation and is run primarily by volunteers. We are an equal opportunities organisation and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We focus on ability and believe people work best when they feel valued, safe and happy. We do all that we can to make sure that Our Yard / Clitterhouse Farm is friendly and welcoming to everyone.
If you have a disability and would like to discuss other ways of submitting your application, please call Thomas on 07733043701
We are very much looking forward to receiving your application!